Thursday, January 31, 2008
Here is my February gift list for the Year Long Gift-A-Long.
1. Gift Item: A lace shawl. My goal this month is to make decisions. This month I want to settle on a yarn, pattern and needles, then knit a swatch and block it.
Deadline: Let's say December 18, 2008 (so I have enough time to get it in the mail.)
2. Gift Item: Scarf (already in progress)
Recipient: Top Secret!
Occasion: Valentine's Day
Deadline: February 10, 2008 (so I can get it in the mail.)
3. Gift Item: Boogie Time (2 of them)
Recipient: Family Friends
Occasion: last Christmas
4. Gift Item: Socks
Occasion: last Christmas
5. Gift Item: Socks (I'm not aiming for completion. Just a good start.)
Recipient: Top Secret!
Deadline: March 2008
1) Tudora/a friend/Holiday giftJan 31 Done!
2) Calorimetry/Erin/Valentines Day/Jan 31 Done!
3) Complete Extended CAL as far as I have the clues/a friend/Valentines Day/Jan 31 Done!
4) Baby afghan/a friend/not sure/Jan 31 Done!
5) Dishcloth/my mother/Valentine's Day/Jan 31 Started!
So, the dishcloth gets rolled to February! Pictures will follow in a day or two (after I find my camera... sigh). I will start planning my February list and have it up soon, too.
February Gift List:
1. Baby socks/ for baby Nordmann, due in August/ Feb. 28th WIP
2. Green Frivol Hat/ Xmas '08 pile/ Feb. 28th WIP
4. Simple socks from stashed Regia sock yarn/ a co-worker, Xmas '08/ Feb. 28th
Only 4 gifts on the goal sheet this month, 'cause it's a short month and I'm seeing lots of grad work in my near future. And yes, two of these are halfway done already. Good luck, everybody. Here we go!
1. Xmas Socks / Rachael /Xmas present/ for Xmas 08
2. Xmas Socks / Lorraine / Xmas present / for Xmas 08
3. Purple Cup Cozy / Xmas Present / Rachael / for Xmas 08
4. Green Cup Cosy / Xmas Present / recipient to be decided / For Xmas 08
5. Scarf. Xmas Present / recipient to be decided / For Xmas 08
Also finish Opal Socks for my husband by February 14th...Valentines present
4. finish my dad's skarf. (was for christmas 07, will be for christmas 08) (ROLLOVER)
5. finish norma's skarf. (see above) (ROLLOVER)
three out of five ain't bad. it's just those stupid skarves. bah! anyhow, here is my list for feb.
1. dad's skarf
2. norma's skarf
3. finish other four yards of netting for scrubbies
4. 8 various dishcloths
5. some dpn holders.
i am going to make it my goal to finish those skarves. i think i can... i think i can... i think i can...
Feb: 1. 3 more dishcloths
2. 2 hats to send to the cancer society hat drive
3. one scarf/ xmas08/recipient unknown.
4. one pair matching fingerless mitts/xmas08/recipient unknown
I have pic's that I will post this weekend.
1. Mac and Me Hooded Sweatshirt for my 4 year old son
2. Coffee Cup cozy for my Hot Cocoa partner
3. Hat for husband's birthday
4. My So Called Scarf for my mother's birthday
Once I get some new yarn, I'm just itching to cast it on, even if I have a million UFOs. The new ball beckons me. Rachel, it says, play with me, forget about all your other WIPs. Sometimes I can resist, but not with this Kimono Angora yarn from Louisa Harding. It's soft and lovely. It's making me knit when I should be working. I should be writing an article about Amman, Jordan, but I'm tempted by the stash....
So this is going to be one of the Juliet scarves on my list. I have 4 different colours of the Kimono Angora. All will be scarves one day, keeping friends toasty warm in foul weather.
I'm about half way there with the River wrap for the wedding. Once I finish a reasonable amount of work [define reasonable!], I will get going on it....
wishing you all happyknits
I'm keeping my list fairly short again because I want to focus on my sweater. I want to be able to wear it before warm weather arrives. If I can make two small gifts a month by participating in this GAL I'll be very happy. So in Februrary I will:
1. Sew retro apron and potholders/Nov b'day/
2. Knit Cabled Headband (from The Knitters' Book of Yarn)/Christmas '08/for unknown recipient.
3. Knit a pair of toddler socks from leftovers to donate to Warm Woolies.
#3 is a bi-monthly goal of mine. I only started knitting socks last year and don't have too many leftovers yet. I was inspired by an essay on Cast On recently to use up leftovers on a regular basis to knit warm things for people who really need them. It will keep me from accumulating yarn I'll never use while at the same time helping someone in a very small way.
I am really inspired by seeing pictures of everyone's FOs! Keep up the good work, y'all!
Finished several days ago... finally got photographed today.
This was one of my "Eternal UFO's"
I started it around Feb of 2005, for my cousin's birthday in March of 2005.
So it's only 3 years late... I'm proud of myself for finally pulling it out and finishing it.
1. Flower Cardigan from Itty Bitty Nursey - for new granddaughter Addision (due to arrive on March 8) - almost finished!
2. Ribbed socks - carry-over from January - one sock done, the other 3/4 done - for daughter Jen
3. Strawberry baby hat - for Deanna's new daughter born 2 weeks ago - need to finish by March.
My knit list will stay the same for now, but sometimes unexpected gifts are nice too
In the right side bar my link is Bianca B.
Bianca B (= breien in Lansingerland)
January is coming to a close in just a few hours, so while I am hoping to finish a hat for my sister today, I am not going to have a January list!
My February Gift list:
1. self-designed beret for Madeleine - for her birthday on October 8th.
2. Drops Sweater for Dad - Christmas? This one will take a while! I actually knit the whole body and half a sleeve for last Christmas, only to realize it was incredibly huge. I've made huge adjustments to the pattern, and am jumping back on the yarny horse. I figure if I've got 11 months, I'll be able to handle it.
3. Japanese Feather and Fan shawl (Ravelry link) for Granne, again for Christmas. I'll probably modify the pattern to be a bit smaller. Again, this will probably be in the queue for a while!
4. Chemo caps for Sarah - to be finished by the middle of March.
Skinny scarf and Hat set-Me-Just Because-DONE
Beanie and Neck Warmer-Me-Just Because-Done (this was extra)
Baby Bunting-Me-ASAP Due ASAP
Baby leg Warmers-Naomi Grace-Shower Gift-3/1/08
4 Wash Cloths for Christmas Gift Stash (and for Quarterly Challenge)
Skinny Scarf/Bunny (Commissioned)
Chi Sweater (Commission)
Another pair of Socks-Christmas Gift Stash
Baby Kimono-Naomi Grace-3-1-08
I love this Gift Along. It really keeps me focused. Plus, its helping me to Stash Bust!
Felted clogs for mom - Jan 31= DONE
Rib scarf for Lisa - Feb 2 => DONE
Baby Raglan for B.E. - Jan 16 => DONE
Baby blanket for baby girl (sewing) => DONE (was going to make burp cloths, too, but ran out of pink fabric so just the blanket for this one)
And my Feb list:
Golf themed burp cloths/S&S twins/Feb 7
2 baby sweaters/S&S twins/Feb 7
tbd/swap pal/Feb 29
cowl or scarf/mom/Christmas
Blue Syncopation Bag/tbd/Christmas
Wednesday, January 30, 2008
Maybe it's crazy to start my January project for the Year Long Gift-A-Long on January 30, but I think I'm going to make it.
As I said before, these two yarns were dying to go together. I double stranded the Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Astrakhan for the edging by using both ends of the ball at the same time. I'm not real fond of knitting with the Astrakhan. I can't quite put my finger on the reason why. It doesn't really split or tangle. It just doesn't feel good on the needles. But I like the way it looks. And as always, Cashmerino Superchunky is awesome.
Tonight at Bluebonnet Yarn Shoppe, Katie said it looked like a Winnie the Pooh hat. Then she said "your hat looks like Pooh" before she realized what she was saying. She said I should add little Pooh Bear ears. I think I'll have a plenty leftover to make a baby hat with ears, but for now, I'll stick with the basics.
My only concern is the size. I swatched a little bit, but I wasn't very careful about measuring. I just estimated and cast on. I hope it's not too big. It seemed ok on the Styrofoam head at Bluebonnet.
In other news, I just talked to Jules. It's cold in LA and he is wearing his socks right now.
So, February list
1. Finish that baby hat.
2. Continue to work on baby blanket.
3. Just found out one of my co-workers is getting married in March: Will probably make her some washcloths and get some super-smelling relaxing soap. She's remarrying her ex, so I have a feeling she'll need it.
Thank you Marce for giving us inspiration to be thoughtful!
1. Finish Steelers baby blanket for Renee's baby. I *badly* need to finish this, just gotta find the time -- she's due in three weeks!!
2. Streaming Leaves Eye Pillow for Barb (bf's mom), birthday is in October. I got some linen yarn that I've never used before and I'm looking forward to it.
3. Scarf for Amy. My boyfriend's brother's girlfriend requested a hand-made scarf at Christmas time, and I have yet to begin. Since at this point I probably won't have it done before it gets warm, I guess it will be a Christmas present!
4. Second baby blanket for Renee. Did I mention she was having twins? So I would *like* to make two blankets, if I can ever find the time. But I don't want this to get out of control...if I can get it done by the end of March that would be fine.
5. Purse for Whitney (my other sister) for Christmas. I picked the pattern out a long time ago, and never started it. Maybe if I get to it in advance she'll actually get it this year!
So - New list:
- Capitan Hat - for coworker who had a birthday last week - I'm casting on tonight, should be done by the weekend
- Scarf for GF's birthday - hoping to incorporate the Foliage pattern as I made her a hat for Christmas - I will knit this after the hat
- Last - My son is 10 today! I picked up some yarn for Fuzzy Feet for him - to knit after the scarf
- Oops - one more. I already have 2 at a time socks on the needles for my youngest. These are being knit to try the technique and because I love him!
- January - Socks for Derek - FINISHED 1/28/08
- February - Sweater for Anthony (size 1 year)
- February/March - Scarf for mom (is a Christmas present, but I told her it wouldn't be done by xmas)
- May - Socks for Marion
New list for February:
- 2/16/08 - Sweater for Anthony (size 1 year)
- February/March - Scarf for mom
- 4/30/08 - Socks for Marion (for Mother's Day, but I want them done ahead of time)
I think I am going to leave it at that, I can't think of anything else to add at the moment that I have the supplies for.
Scarf for mom:
- Blanket for Brianna - I have this yarn in my stash.
- Fingerless Gloves for Marion - I haven't purchased the yarn for this yet, but I do have other yarn that I might use instead. Not sure if this is going to get done for the challenge.
February's list has the same things as January - still need to think of something appropriate for Jill and Rachael for my Pay if Forward agreement, and also gifts for my older ladies for winter.
I participated in the recent swap at Granny Along, and this is what I made for my partner, Becky. I finished it on my deadline date, but had to wait until she received the package. I have posted more information about the swap package on my blog.
I crocheted a granny square bag, which I call the "Polka Dot Surprise" Bag. You will soon see why.
Tuesday, January 29, 2008
*** Waves Scarf - Sister - La Befana - January 6th moved to January 31st due to yarn shortage! *** Fairy Blanket - niece - finishing from Christmas - January 31st
*** Secret of the Stole ii KAL - probably me - ?? - March (I think it's a 9 week KAL with a weekly clue)
Next object there will be photos!
Okay, I somehow veered way off track from my original list. I was playing catch-up a little bit this month trying to finish up my belated Christmas presents. SOooo I am going to show off what I have finished...because I'm excited to have gotten this all done before February. I have made some progress with the gifts on my list...the scarf is 1/2 finished and the baby bog is 4 inches in! So that's encouraging!!
Here is the knitting I have gotten out of the way in order to focus more clearly on my 2008 gift making:
Two Koolhaas hats for my brother and his girlfriend
AND a pair of socks...actually these, as it turns out are for me...
ENTRELAC (Copyright 2007 Lupinbunny)
They're almost the same pattern, but each has different stitches pattern. The smaller one has garter stitch, the colorful scarf has stockinette stitch.
So, I am going to make squares and rectangles of these two patterns, and when I have enough squares and rectangles, I am going to sew them up together to make a patchwork blanket.
I have almost one garterlac square done.
Monday, January 28, 2008
I finished these socks today 1/28/08. These were on my January Gift list and I finished them with only a few days to spare!
Pattern: Magic Loop Winter Socks (Magic Loop Booklet from Fiber Trends)
Size: Men's (for Derek)
Yarn: Patons Classic Wool (Forest)
Needles: Size 5 Addi Turbo 40"
Since I joined this group as away to get Christmas done early I am going to continue to focus on Christmas gifts.
For February :
I would like to get a fair amount done on the blanket for my brother. ( x-mas)
A hat for my aunt ( X-mas)
A scarf to be giving away in March as a B-day gift.
so my pattern for the QC is Casablanca Crochet Quilt
My Feb Goals are:
3 Boobie Pillows /3 sons /Christmas 2008
Beaded Jute Basket but revamp it/myself or gift/ March
To finish Crochet Cable Sock/ myself/ hopefully soon..lol started it in Nov, put it down and haven't picked it up since.
That gives me 5 for Feb. and then the pattern I picked for my last Quarterly Challenge. I know I can do this as long as I don't get sidetracked with other crochet projects...lol
Good Luck everyone on your goals!!
Sister - Calorimetry - for Christmas 2008
2 Nieces - Calorimetry but I have to size it for their heads...YIKES! - for Christmas 2008
Mom - Shawl for Mother's Day
I know there is more but I just can't think of any right now. I had a small crisis while writing this so my thinking isn't going well right now.
The Misplaced Midwesterner
*The Tudora is knitted and just waiting to have it's ends tucked and button sewn on. This will be much easier to accomplish once I purchase the button this afternoon.
*Calorimetry had issues. Even though my daughter has a rather large head, it wasn't that large! So I frogged it and started over with smaller needles. (Swatches?!? We don't need no stinking swatches!!!)
*The baby blanket is finished and waiting for Tudora so I can do one photo shoot for both.
*The CAL afghan is still going strong and is on track to be finished by Thursday.
*And I haven't even thought about the dishcloth. But they work up fast, right? Right?!? LOL!
New list (subject to change if I find something else to knit for myself)
- March 7 Waterloose Socks - Amanda
- ASAP Mickey Mouse Socks - ME!
- April 3 BMP - Noah
- May 26 Arm covers - Josh
- June 15 Socks - Seely Booth
Sunday, January 27, 2008
It was a fun pattern that I'll probably do again in a variegated yarn.
So what's next? My goals for February are:
- Norwegian-style pullover/3-yo son/No particular occasion/February 29
- SWTC mitered squares jacket/Mom/Birthday/March 14
- Monkey socks / Mom / Mom's birthday / March -- Revised to Sweetheart Socks for Valentines -- WIP
- Baby set (booties, hat, sweater) / Baby / April -- Hat done, nothing else, ROLLOVER
- Yoga bag / MIL / MIL's birthday / March -- ROLLOVER
- 2 socks for 2008 holiday advent calendar / December -- DONE
The advent calendar socks are done at least! The striped sock is winged, the snowflake sock is the Flakey Baby Sock from Anny Purls. All yarns are stash -- perhaps not ideal (as in the flakes) but they work well enough for this. Yay!
Mom's socks are partway done but they're not Monkeys. Mom asked for golf club covers for her birthday, but I still really wanted to make her some socks, so I chose Sweetheart Socks instead and want to have them finished for Valentine's. I love how they look but are progressing a bit slowly! I'm actually on to the foot now.
I did one baby hat but really that was finished on New Years Eve so not sure if that counts-- more baby stuff is planned (for both myself and a few friends all due around the same time!) but haven't gotten to that yet. The pattern is the Norwegian Sweet Baby Cap.
MIL gift might get pushed back or might turn into Christmas. Who knows?! And let's just not talk about my projects for myself right now!
Woo hoo! I'm done!!
Now, on to the goals for February:
Bathtime Blossoms sets for thank you gifts, due anytime
Thorpe for son for valentines day
Thorpe for hubbo for valentines day
Malabrigo Loafers for mom for valentines day
Five stripes on my Ripple Afghan, due Christmas
Congrats to all the finishers and thanks again to Marce for coming up with this GAL!
1. Fuzzy Feet - for my Dad - Christmas 2008
2. Fuzzy Feet - for Hubby - Christmas 2008
3. Kate - for my niece - May Birthday
4. Weasley Sweater - for my oldest son - he requested it, I don't have a target date
5. Nutkin socks for me- cuz I deserve them, when I get to them. :o)
Here are the hat & cardi, complete w/ buttons!
I also finished an item for the Q1 Challenge... the Rowan Tapestry Scarf. It's probably going to be a Christmas present for a co-worker or somebody.
I updated the list, and now I only have one goal for January. To finish a pair of socks for myself. They were my traveling socks during Thanksgiving, and I had to set them down in favor of Christmas Knitting & then Gift Knitting. My gift to myself in February is to finish them! If I finish them, my next goal is to finish Callie (not currently listed) for myself as she was also set down in favor of Christmas Knitting.
I'm also making some very nice progress on Dina's Socks & I hope to have them done soon. I've been in an easy stockinette-in-the-round frame of mind, and I'm so happy that I'm knitting them 2 at a time. lol. :)
1) Coronet / Grandma / Christmas 2008 / Jan. 31Finished 1/1/08 2) Strawberry Lime Socks / My Sister / Birthday (04/04/08) / Jan. 31Finished 1/5/08 3) Baby Shower Gift (Baby Cardi, Hat, Washcloth) / Co-Worker / Baby Shower / Jan. 31Finished 1/27/08
5) Blueberry Pie Socks / Me! / Just Because / Feb. 29
4) Felted Clogs / My Stepdad / Christmas 2008 / Mar. 31
5) Dublin Bay Socks / TC / Christmas 2008 / Mar. 31
6) Waving Lace Socks / Mom / Birthday (9/19/08) / Aug. 31
7) Vesper Socks / Dina / Birthday (10/7/08) or Christmas 2008 / Oct. 3 (In progress)
8) Rowan Tapestry Scarf / Undecided / Christmas 2008 / Dec. 1Finished 1/15/08
9) Fetchings to match scarf / Undecided / Christmas 2008 / Dec. 1
10) Peacock Feathers Shawl / Mom / Christmas 2008 / Dec. 10
11) PIF Socks / Teresa / PIF gift / Dec. 23 (but hopefully sooner)
12) PIF Socks / Renee / PIF gift / Dec. 23 (but hopefully sooner)
13) Charity Item / Sue / PIF gift / Dec. 23 (but hopefully sooner)
14) PIF Socks / Lisa / PIF gift / Dec. 23 (but hopefully sooner)
15) Ripple Afghan / Joe's Dad / Christmas 2008 / Dec. 25
16) Flower Petal Shawl / Joe's Mom / Christmas 2008 / Dec. 25
17) Booga Bag or Socks / Joe's Sister / Christmas 2008 / Dec. 25
18) Hat (Pattern Undecided) / Grandpa / Christmas 2008 / Dec. 25
1. Socks for Julie (a dear friend) to be finished by Jan. 31
2. Scarf for Mom, due March 10
3. Baby sweater (EZ Baby Surprise) for a knitting group friend (due June)
4. Santa Cruz Hoodie for my husband (due October)
Off to work on some knitting!
Pattern: Lace Baby Beenie
Yarn: Jo-Ann Sensations Tesoro, 1 skein Pink
Needles: Lantern Moon, Ebony DPN size 5
Notes: quick and easy!! This yarn blocked beautifully!
Thank you for all the wonderful comments on the baby blanket.
1. make dish scrubbies out of four of the eight yards of netting i bought. (to be put in gifts as we travel cross country)
2. finish the lapghan for my grandpa. (just because i love him)
3. finish jakies hat. (before it warms up aka NOW)
4. finish my dad's skarf. (was for christmas 07, will be for christmas 08)
5. finish norma's skarf. (see above)
i will post again at the end of the month.
4. Cable Panel Gloves. For me. If I have time, and can get the right needles. Finish by Jan 31. Pushed back indefinitely.
6. Pinwheel Baby Blanket. For Kahlan. Finish by Valentine's Day. In progress.
7. (One Skein KAL Feb Project) Finish by Feb 28.
SO... The List as it stands now for the last few days of Jan, plus Feb & March.
Work on 1st quarter challenge (scrubbies and dishcloths)
Experiment with size 0 needles in prep for baby socks.
1. Pinwheel Baby Blanket. For Kahlan. Finish by Valentine's Day. In progress.
2. (One Skein KAL Feb Project) Finish by Feb 28.
3. Better Than Booties Baby Socks (1st pair). For Kahlan. Finish by Feb 28.
4. Finish 1st quarter challenge by Feb 28th to clear March for baby knits.
5. Jamaica Pouch (or other bag). for my HSKS4 partner.
1. Better Than Booties Baby Socks (2nd&3rd pairs). For Kahlan. Finish by DDay
2. Miny (baby bunting bag). For Kahlan. Finish by DDay
Time to show some finished knitting, and a gift. The Hotchpotch mittens are ready - they are done in CPY Bunny Hop. I like the colour combination, but was not entirely pleased with the thumb as it was before. Now I think it suits better. It makes me feel hungry... so tomorrow will be hotchpotch day!
The Little Toes are showing socks in Little Toes - comfortable and warm for tiny feet. Wietse loves these, as he already demonstrated by trying to take off my wrist warmer from my hand. LOL! Now he can play with his socks.
The gift was a belated Secret Gnome Exchange, from KyleAnn (Yahoo Sockathon group!) So many goodies. Thank you KyleAnn!
The mittens were on my January list. These are done. These were point 4 on my knit list for January.
The socks were not directly planned, but a fun knit. My son tried them on, but they are put away until his birthday on March 20. These socks are point 7 on my knit list.
Gifts, clockwise from bottom: Textured handtowel, my own design, knit with 2 skeins of Rowan Cotton Jeans; Frivol hat, knit with leftover Shearer's Yarn (which I cannot get enough of!) from last year's sweater; Fiesta Mittens knit with Claudia's handpainted and Louet Gems; Simple 2x2 ribbed hat with pompom, with yarn mailed to be last year from Sera, for whom I made those fingerless mitts, with improvised cables.
Oh yeah, and they're all knit from my stash. Whew!
Does it count if the first gift I make is for myself?? I'm currently working on the River lace wrap from Rowan to go with my wedding dress.
1. River lace wrap/me/wedding/march
2-4 3 x juliet scarf by louisa harding for gift stash. I found some loverly kimono angora cheap on the intraweb to knit up into these.
5. Celia beanie/gaynor/birthday/ need to buy some buttons for this project
6. flower pots/mom/birthday/may
my gift list for february is short:
santa claus' sock for my eldest son.
I'm must admit that I'm very ashamed of myself: I will not finish the first gift till 31 january because I did not manage my time well. I finished the two wips and now I don't have enough time for the january gift. Nevertheless I will finish it till february 3.
I'm very sorry!
I am super thrilled to get stuck in to this Gift Along, but only wonder if I can restrain myself from gifting as soon as I've finished rather than saving and squirreling away for the designated occassion!
In anycase, getting the gifts actually knitted up at ALL is the first step, right? And with that in mind, here is my current List!
- Flowerbasket Shawl / maternal Gran / for love! / ASAP(by end Feb)
- Toe-up socks / Dad / belated Chrissie 07! / ASAP!!
- Soaker / Baby Bosko / because he's lovely / end of Feb
- Dish-Face-cloth / my cousins / Chrissie / late December
Good lcuk and speedy needles to us all! But of course, our needles can be relaxed and enjoyable as well as speedy, for we are early gift knitters - hurrah!! =D