Tuesday, August 19, 2008

FO: Center Square

Cross posted at Sally Comes Unraveled and Year Long Gift-A-Long.

<span class=

This hat defies math. Or something.

<span class=

I'm proud of my first stranded colorwork project. It really evened out after I blocked it. The problem is that it's waaaaayyy too small.

<span class=

What really confuses me is that the gauge measures at 4 stitches per inch, what the pattern calls for, now that it's been blocked. (Actually, it's a little on the large side. The pattern calls for 16.5 stitches per four inches, or 4.125 stitches per inch.) But it seems to be toddler size, or child size. I thought I might be able to stretch it over my head if I pulled hard enough, but I didn't want to stretch it out of shape.

<span class=

I just double checked the the pattern and it says the finished circumference is 15.5 inches unstretched. I measured the finished circumference at around 16 inches. (I tried to stretch it a lot when I blocked it.) Is this really an adult hat? The math adds up to a kids' hat. I know my head is a little on the big side, but the Craft Yarn Council considers the average adult woman to have a head that's about 20 inches in circumference. The pattern says snug fit, but four and a half inches of negative ease?

<span class=

So I'm debating what to do with my tiny hat. Will it fit an adult? I have some kids on my Christmas list, but no toddlers. If all else fails, I'll probably donate it to the Dulaan Project or Afghans for Afghans. It's very warm.

<span class=

To review, this is the Center Square hat from Knitty. I used Cascade 220 Superwash in 801 Army Green and 819 Chocolate. It took less than one skein of each color. I knit it with 40" Addi Turbo Circular Knitting Needles in US Size 4. (I used the Magic Loop Technique.)

<span class=

The completion of this hat fulfills several goals. It's a Ravelympics entry in the Colorwork Cross Country, Hat Dash and Gift Knits Pentathlon events. It's also part of the Year Long Gift-A-Long Q3 Challenge as my "something new." Finally, it fulfills number 21 on 101 goals in 1,001 days list - knit a colorwork project.

<span class=

I'm such a knitting geek.

No comments: