Friday, February 29, 2008
1. Cabled Headband - a holiday gift for an unknown recipient - maybe a teacher or one of my nieces, paired with a Starbucks gift certificate.
2. A pair of socks from leftover sock yarn
that I sent off to www.warmwoolies.org
Not sure if this technically counts as a gift, but I think it should. While we are thinking of little luxuries for those on our gift lists, shouldn't we also be thinking of those who really need warm things?
I didn't get to sewing the retro apron and potholder for a friend's birthday in November, but that will go onto my March list.
I just started another scarf but not sure if I will get it done tonight or not.
Happy Leap Year!
I was able to finish the calla lily bag which is now ready for felting.
For my friend Kelly who is having a baby.
1. 2 Baby Bibs
2. 2 Burb cloths
3. Baby booties
4. Baby Blanket - Using the log cabin pattern.
Christmas Gifts for sisters:
1. Swiffer Covers
My fiance for his birthday in April
1. Boobie pillow. (it's a secret)
That's all for now. I'm sure I'll have more.
The Koolhaas Hat by Jared Flood is now being worn by my daughter and the Baby Kimono is complete and ready for the birth of Baby Kirkman any day now.
The Hemlock Knit Ring Throw is progressing well and I am into the feather and fan pattern already.
As for the month of March:
1. Finish the Hemlock Knit Ring Throw in the first week of March
2. Another baby sweater for an April baby
3. Scarf for my nephew for next winter
This blog is really helping to keep me working hard at project completion!
So, for March:
1. Baby hat / Marin's first birthday / Mar. 7
2. Nucks / Nicole / Christmas / Mar. 31
3. Nucks / Allie / Christmas / Mar.31
4. Socks / Me / Just because / Mar. 31
Just keep knitting, just keep knitting...
Thursday, February 28, 2008
1) Dishcloth/my mother/Valentine's Day/Rollover DONE! This actually metamorphed into two dishcloths and a towel for my mom and three dishcloths for my boyfriend's mom. Go figure! :)
2) Suzetta's February Scarf/a friend/Valentine's Day/Feb 13 DONE! This one also took on a life of it's own and became two scarves.
3) Wiggles Baby Sweater/a friend's baby/birthday TBD/Feb 29 DONE! Again with the multiples! I finished three of these and have a fourth on the needles.
4) Connected Hearts Shawl/a friend/Holidays/Feb 29 Okay, I whiffed on this one. Haven't even started.
5) Variation on Palindrome Scarf/a friend/Holidays/Feb 29 Partly done. Might finish by tomorrow. Otherwise, it'll be a rollover.
Not too bad for thinking I didn't have anything finished! LOL!!! :)
- Two baby socks for the Baby Sock Advent Calendar / Family / Holiday season / December 1st
- Bonnet and booties / friend's baby due in March / Baby due date / March ??
- Golf club cover / Mom / Birthday / late March
(ultimately will be a full set but for this goal it's just one to determine if it fits properly!)
- Felted Yoga Mat Bag / MIL / Birthday / late March
Let's see.. some FOs. Here are my advent calendar socks for this installment:
I'm not at all sure about them, to be honest. The lacey one is larger than the others, although that may not be a bad thing. But I also ran out of the green scraps I was using for it so the heel is ridiculously squashed. It's not to be worn so no big deal there, but I do think it looks sorta funny.
The other sock uses yet more stashed leftovers and I'm concerned that the green there is too dark. But maybe not. I think I'll have to make a few extra as the year goes on and just pick the best ones when it comes time to display!
On a more positive note, I did finish the baby gift. I'm so happy with it!
The bonnet is from Last Minute Knitted Gifts and the booties are Saartje's bootees. The booties used STR mediumweight in Bunny Foo Foo (pink and brown) and the bonnet used Cotton Ease in some brown color and pink Tahki Torino (superwash merino) for the ties. They are both super tiny so I hope they actually fit!
And... that would be all from my list! Doh! The golf club cover is up next for me, the yoga bag may in fact be shunted off to Christmas. Depends on how well I'm prioritizing my knitting in March! Lots of other things on the go as well and running out of time for an April baby due date.
Two other things I just wanted to mention. I checked my January list and seems I had some rollovers I managed to neglect to roll over! I did finish one of them: socks for my mom. These were originally going to be a birthday present but then she requested the golf club thingies, so I finished them in time for Valentine's Day instead! I'm very pleased:
This is the Sweetheart Socks pattern from Interweave Knits Holiday 2007. The yarn is Tofutsies, can't remember the colorway. Love the hearts:
So, that went over well and I suppose it counts as an FO! I don't know why I didn't write it down for the February list.
I also made something for Valentine's that was a spur of the moment thing. Not on the list but thought I'd share anyway! A kitty cat for my kiddo:
It's the Wee Wonderfuls pattern called Pointy Kitty. This is the second one I've made so this one only took one night, hurrah! My boy loves it :)
And I love the heart :)
I think I may try and be more sensible for my March list, but somehow, I doubt it will happen. Thanks for all the inspiration to keep it up!
Wednesday, February 27, 2008
He broke his left femur and had two titanium rods put in his leg. He's been home over a week now and it stil hurts. Good news is that the x-rays today show that its healing really nicely. Thank goodness.
I do have one more scarf on the go and it might be done by the end of the week. Maybe I will squeak by with 5 this month as month.
However work/sotsii/family commitments have seriously hindered my knitting. I am trying some time management to get back on track, hopefully there will be some finished items soon!!!
Monday, February 25, 2008
Sunday, February 24, 2008
Pattern: Waves Scarf
Yarn: Cadena from Knit Picks
Needles: Knit Picks Options size 9
Notes: pattern calls for 6 skeins, but I ended up using 10! Check around on Ravelry before making for yourself to make sure you get enough yarn.
I also managed to finish socks for my friend Dina. Her birthday is in October, and since I managed to finish them, she'll get them for her birthday instead of Christmas. This is my 2nd 4th Quarter FO, so I guess that makes it a Q1ChallengeFO! :) The picture was taken very early this morning, around 1am, before I finished weaving in the ends, but the ends are woven in now.
Here's my updated list:
1) Coronet / Grandma / Christmas 2008 / Jan. 31Finished 1/1/08 2) Strawberry Lime Socks / My Sister / Birthday (04/04/08) / Jan. 31Finished 1/5/08 3) Baby Shower Gift (Baby Cardi, Hat, Washcloth) / Co-Worker / Baby Shower / Jan. 31Finished 1/27/08 4) Blueberry Pie Socks / Me! / Just Because / Feb. 29Finished
5) Waving Lace Socks / Mom / Mother's Day 2008 / Mar. 31
6) Nutkin Socks / Me! / Just Because/trying to finish UFOs / Mar. 31
7) Vesper Socks / Dina / Birthday (10/7/08) or Christmas 2008 / Oct. 3Finished 2/24/08 8) Rowan Tapestry Scarf / Undecided / Christmas 2008 / Dec. 1Finished 1/15/08
9) Fetchings to match scarf / Undecided / Christmas 2008 / Dec. 1
10) Peacock Feathers Shawl / Mom / Christmas 2008 / Dec. 10
11) Felted Clogs / My Stepdad / Christmas 2008 / Dec. 15
12) Dublin Bay Socks / TC / Christmas 2008 / Dec. 15
13) PIF Socks / Teresa / PIF gift / Dec. 23 (but hopefully sooner)
14) PIF Socks / Renee / PIF gift / Dec. 23 (but hopefully sooner)
15) Charity Item / Sue / PIF gift / Dec. 23 (but hopefully sooner)
16) PIF Socks / Lisa / PIF gift / Dec. 23 (but hopefully sooner)
17) Ripple Afghan / Joe's Dad / Christmas 2008 / Dec. 25
18) Flower Petal Shawl / Joe's Mom / Christmas 2008 / Dec. 25
19) Booga Bag or Socks / Joe's Sister / Christmas 2008 / Dec. 25
20) Hat (Pattern Undecided) / Grandpa / Christmas 2008 / Dec. 25
I rearranged my list a bit, and now my goals for March are to finish my mom's Waving Lace socks as well as finishing the Nutkin socks I started back in November/December for test knitting. Nutkin socks will be for me - "just because" and because I'm trying to clear some of the UFOs off the needles. The Waving Lace socks will be for Mother's Day. :)
these have both been mostly finished for a really long time (the girl's pair just needed a couple seams, the men's needed a bit more work) and are actually holiday gifts. I did actually see the recipient over the weekend, but had not felted yet. :( I will be gifting them this week, though!
Hope everyone's having happy stressless knitting!!!! :)
Last night I finished Mom's socks. They're only about two months late for Christmas.
I used my short, US size 2 bamboo dpns and Hill Country Yarns Instant Gratification Sock Yarn in "Lavender Sachet." I purchased the yarn at The Knitting Nest.
Unlike the Longhorn Socks, I didn't run out of yarn before I finished. But the yarn was a joy to knit with, as it was with the Longhorn Socks.
This is the Beaded Rib pattern from Charlene Schurch's Sensational Knitted Socks. As I mentioned before, I screwed up the ribbing early on and just decided to go with it. Round One of the pattern stitch said "*p1, k1, p1, k1, p1* repeat from *." Without thinking, I just started doing a 1x1 rib.
This were knit toe up, with a provisional cast on and a short row heel. I also used the sewn bind off to prevent the edges of the sock from being too tight.
I think I made some mistakes on the first toe, but it's hard to notice. Also, I sewed up a couple of small gaps at the corner of the heels.
Mom seemed pretty happy with them, and they fit okay. She put them on right away because her feet were cold. They are "around the house" socks. Mom often wears my Dad's socks around the house for extra warmth. This is a nicer (and better fitting) alternative.
Saturday, February 23, 2008
Friday, February 22, 2008
here is my february update.
2. norma's skarf (i can't seem to bring myself to work on this... i think i hate it.)
i also made a really boring hat for my husband
and i made an unoriginal hat for my dad, to go along with the scarf, but i have to start over because it it GIGANTIC!!!
wow! i guess i did do a lot! hooray!!! i will celebrate with stitches west on saturday.
TO DO:1. Nakiska / sister-in-law / Christmas / December
2. French Market Bag / co-worker / Birthday / May 31
3. Hazy Paves Scarf / mom / Christmas / December 15
4. Cozy / mom / Christmas / December 15
5. Cupcake pincushion / friend / Birthday / July 1
Soleil for Mom-Mother's day and May birthday together. Made with Sirdar Baby Bamboo which will be used again.
French Market Bag-Felted nicely but I'll probably steam the edges to make it more crisp. For Christmas Drawer.
Flower Power washcloth-One for birthday and one for Christmas gift drawer.
Baby Uggs-two more pairs were finished for the gift drawer. They might disappear quickly... people are starting to request them.
Sorry, I am just so happy I could dance.
How does that song go, "Do a little dance, make a little lace, get down tonight..."
OK, so I messed with the lyrics, I admit, but I really DO like it better that way.
Sorry, no time to chat, just a celebratory "Whoopie" to let everyone know that the bloody Rainbow Revontuli is finally -repeat finally- DONE!!!
Stop by my blog to read all about it.
Picts to follow, but no time to chat, BB clothes to knit & fast!
Have a Fabulous Friday, hoist one for me, and happy knitting,
Thursday, February 21, 2008
Way to go everyone for all your great work. I have seen some really wonderful looking stuff on this blog KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!
Yes! FO One AND two: two pair of Fuzzy feet. OK, they were a bit late for Valentines Day, and they look ridiculous since they aren't felted yet. But my plan includes doing the felting with my daughters, so that works.
Anyway, on to completing the scarf and the shawl...and STITCHES WEST!!!!
I just finished the third FO on my February list. It's a chemo turban for a close friend of mine who will be having a Bone Marrow Transplant next month, and I am very glad to have gotten it done!
- The pattern is from Elann.com, found here.
- It was a quick, fun knit. I thought it would be a huge pain, because you cast on 50 and then work in 4X4 ribbing for 40 inches but it actually went quite quickly.
- I used two balls of Esprit, the yarn it called for. I think any cotton/nylon blend (or yarn that has substantial stretch to it) would work. I'm thinking Cascade Fixation would be great too.
- I made no mods to this one, but I have enough yarn for another one, and I'd like stripes. I'll probably have to make some mods, so we'll see how that goes.
- I wasn't too inspired by this project. I am really satisfied with the finished product, but I feel pretty blah about the whole thing. I think the recipient will really appreciate it though, and that is definitely what counts.
I also have another project to add to my February list. I am working on some charity items for a domestic women's shelter in Brixton, London,and I hope to have them done by the end of the week. So, I'm adding that as one of my February goals. Sadly, I have not touched my 4th item, which was my dad's sweater. I just can't even look at the thing. Luckily, it's not due until Christmas, and I'm a pretty fast knitter. I want to get all my fun, small projects done first, and then tackle the sweater!